Historical Documents (Summary)
1951 Centennial Book
1981 -- More of the Township's Story
The Mulmur Crest, 1984
Designed by Janis Steinmanis
The shape - an equilateral triangle, with the "L" of the Irish print in Mulmur forms a tree. The stylized green "M" represents the hills and valleys of our Township with the blue part under the M to represent our streams and small lakes. The fir trees represent the forests, and the stook of grain its main industry, agriculture. In the clear blue sky above we see a hawk representing the wildlife of the Township.
Mulmur is Celtic phrase and comes from the actual words “Maol” or “Máel” (old Irish) meaning bald or blunt hill, and “Muir” or “Mòr”meaning many or great size. From this we gather that “Mul Mur” or Maol Mor is meant to mean “many great bald hills”.
Trinity United Centennial Church, Mansfield
Prince Of Wales Road
Prince of Wales Road was named in honour of the visit by Queen Victoria’s son Edward, the Prince of Wales and heir to the throne in 1860. Edward, who later became King Edward VII is the Great Grandfather of Queen Elizabeth II.
Originally the Road only reached as far north as Camilla from Orangeville but later was extended to Primrose. Before that extension persons travelling North would turn left at Camilla then travel through the small communities and ultimately reach Shelburne. From Primrose the route was extended further north into Mulmur Township. Several taverns popped up along this new road and began to compete for the travelers business with those inns already located on the Toronto Sydenham Road.
Historical Information / Heritage Properties
To have your property included on the "Register of Properties of Historical Interest" List, please contact the Township at email@example.com
Register of Cultural Heritage Properties
The owners of the properties on the Register listed below have given their consent for photos to be published. Photographic credit for some of the following photos: Carl Tafel, former Chair of Mulmur Heritage Committee.