Get In Touch

Tracey Atkinson - CAO/Planner


  • Local (705) 466-3341 Ext. 222
  • Toll Free (866) 472-0417 from 519 only
  • Fax (705) 466-2922


  • 758070 2nd Line E
    Mulmur, ON L9V 0G8

Building Information

Thinking of Building or Renovating?   


For Important Contact Information click here


Step 1:  Contact the Township to assist with any questions regarding the Municipal Approval form, fees, permit processes, zoning questions, as well as NEC or NVCA permits (if applicable).    You must have the 911 number or Lot and Concession of the property available prior to contacting the office.  

Step 2:  Complete your Municipal Approval Application to Construct or Demolish, and come into the office to pay your fee (cash, cheque or online banking) and obtain your approval forms. If your builder or designer is applying on your behalf, please also complete an Owner's Authorization as well as the Acknowledgement Municipal Approval for Building Permit.

Step 3:  Proceed to the County of Dufferin Building Department within 6 months of the issuance of your Municipal Approval.

Click here for the Building Services Page (County of Dufferin) where you can find the applications and other important information.

For Minimum Distance Separation I Information, click here for a Farm Data Sheet.

In addition to the applicable approvals and permit applications, you may also have to provide the following:

• Two Sets of Complete Drawings (plus 1 digital copy or 11 x 17 or smaller paper copy):  These drawings must include all elevations, floor plans and cross sections, specifying all applicable structural information and construction materials.

• Roof Specifications:   A roof framing plan will be required at the time of the County Building Permit submission. If the structure has a truss roof system, an Engineered Stamped Truss Specification is required prior to the acceptance of the building permit application. Contact the Building Department to confirm the snow loads for your area.

• Heating and Ventilation Form / Heat Loss Statement:   The Mechanical Ventilation form can be obtained from the Building Department, to be completed and signed by the heating contractor or HRAI designer. The Heat Loss Statement must be completed by the heating contractor.

• Other Engineering:   Engineered stamped drawings are required for a slab on grade over 50 sq. m. If you are using a pre-engineered floor joist system, the joist layout from the manufacturer is required. Also provide specifications on any other pre-engineered building materials (eg. LVLs, headers, ICF construction, etc.)

• Energy Efficiency Design Summary:  This form, to be completed by the project designer, must accompany the permit application for all residential dwellings and additions.

• Septic System Information:   Two sets of drawings for the layout, calculations & grain size analysis must be provided at the time of submission. Schedules 1 and 2 of the permit application must be completed by the designer and installer.